CNAS Graduate Student Affairs

Incoming Student Information

Helping Hands

Welcome to UC Riverside!

We are delighted that you have decided to attend UCR. The faculty, students and staff look forward to your arrival and helping you transition smoothly onto campus. The areas listed below answer most questions and help you prepare for enrollment, orientation and campus life.

Steps To Take After You Return Your Intent to Register...

1. Setup Your UCR Email

After you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), you will receive a confirmation letter with your Student ID and Net ID number. Log into R'Web, the student portal, and set-up your UCR R'Mail to start receiving important campus and graduate program information, registration, housing, fees, etc. All university correspondences will be sent to the UCR R'Mail and students are responsible for checking their account regularly.

2. R'Web

Familiarize yourself with R'Web because it is the online portal where students enroll, review student financial account information, make a payment, update contact information, setup direct deposit for non-payroll financial awards, and more!


If you'd like to be in contact with current students to find a roommate or a room-for-rent, please contact your Student Service Advisor who will gladly forward your message to all our current graduate students. Listed below are two housing resources for your convenience. On-campus housing may offer short-term or interim housing as well.

UCR Housing Office - Information is available on both on and off-campus housing options. Please apply early.

(951) 827-6350

4. Complete the online Statement of Legal Residence (SLR)

All incoming students are required to file a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) to determine whether resident or non-resident fees are charged. The form can be found online at: statementoflegalresidence.ucr.edu 

5. Sign Up for Direct Deposit

  • 1ST DIRECT DEPOSIT FORM (Fellowship/Stipend Deposits):

We encourage you to sign up for direct deposit to have your fellowship stipends, financial aid or any other student refunds deposited electronically into your personal bank or credit union account. You can enroll for direct deposit via R'Web. It's free, fast, and reliable. Learn more from Student Business Services.


  • 2ND DIRECT DEPOSIT FORM (TA/GSR Employment Payroll)

If your financial award package includes a TA/GSR appointment in the first quarter, you will need to complete a set of personnel forms in your department's payroll office. Your Student Services Advisor will notify you later in the summer about this process.  Otherwise the payroll forms can be completed in the quarter before your first employment appointment.

6. GLACIER Paperwork (International Students only)

All international students must complete their tax withholding documentation via GLACIER as soon as they receive their login information. You must complete this paperwork in order for all fellowship stipends to disburse. You should receive this information via email in mid to late summer. Please contact Elena Valdez in Accounting with any questions you may have. She can be reached at elena.valdez@ucr.edu.


Things to Do Later this Summer...

1. Register For Classes

The new student enrollment period for Fall 2018 is August 20-23, 2018 and the subsequent open enrollment period is from September 11 - October 12, 2018. 

International students will not be able to enroll until after they have arrived on campus and checked in with the International Students and Scholars Office.

2. Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS)

Visit Campus Transportation & Parking Services for:

  • Parking Permits
  • RTA (Rapid Transit Agency) local Riverside bus line
  • Metrolink (Southern California Commuter Train) - easy access to Los Angeles, Beaches and San Diego
  • Carpool
  • Other Alternative Transportation Programs
    If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact TAPS

Ontario Airport is located about 20 miles from campus; Los Angeles International Airport is about 68 miles.Various shuttle services provide 24-hour service directly from LAX or Ontario Airports to Riverside. Please check local listings for rates and availability.

Inquire at the airport for the bus service from LAX to Downtown Los Angeles Union Station. The bus service runs every hour non-stop. At Union Station, transfer by taking the Metrolink Train to Downtown Riverside. The Metrolink Riverside Line has a limited schedule, so please check the Metrolink for their schedule to plan your trip to UCR.

Arriving On Campus:

International students should connect with the International Student and Scholars office about arriving on campus.

Fall instruction begins September 27, 2018. The campus is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday and will be closed on Academic and Administrative Holidays. Our office hours are 7:30am-12pm and 1pm-4:30pm. Please contact your Student Service Advisor to arrange a meeting.

We suggest bringing enough funds to pay for move-in costs for housing and other expenses. We estimate that your initial move-in expenses will be between $1,500 and $2,000. Please keep in mind that if you are on fellowship, your first check will be disbursed in late September for the fall quarter and at the beginning of each quarter thereafter. If you are appointed as a TA or GSR in the fall, then the first paycheck will be paid on November 1st.


There are a series of orientation events that new graduate students are required to attend. They are as follows:

  • Mandatory Orientation for International Students. Visit the International Student & Scholars office to view dates.
  • Graduate Division Orientation (mandatory for all new graduate students)
    • Monday, September 24th 

      AM Orientation: University Lecture Hall 1000 11:00 am-12:30 pm 

       Reception: Alumni & Visitors Center Dining Room and Alumni Arroyo Vista Patio & Lawn 3:00 pm-6:00 pm

  • Graduate Student Mentorship Program - September 18-20 (students attend all 3 days)
  • Teaching Assistant Orientation (mandatory for all new students that will TA in their first year. TA's choose 1 day)
    • Tuesday, September 25th  
    • Wednesday, September 26th 
    • Students can register online
  • Program Welcome Orientation Your Student Service Advisor will contact you with final details once the date and time for your program's orientation have been determined.



The SPEAK test is required of any student who will serve as a Teaching Assistant (TA), Assoc In__ or Teaching Fellow in Fall 2018 in the following categories:

* If a student comes from a country where English is not the first language and has not yet taken the Speak Test
* If the last Speak Test exam with a score less than 50 is more than 6 months old by the time the Fall quarter begins
* If student is a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and English is not the first language


New incoming graduate students for Fall 2018 who will serve as a Teaching Assistant in Fall 2018 AND who scored a 23 or higher on the speaking portion of the TOEFL IBT will be allowed to TA during Fall 2018 without taking the Speak test or the required course at Extension. If the Fall 2018 teaching evaluations are low in the English speaking area, then the SPEAK TEST requirement may be imposed and students may have to take ESL courses at Extension. New incoming students scoring between 17-22 on the speaking portion of the TOEFL IBT and will TA in Fall 2018 are required to take the course at Extension but do not have to take the September speak test. This provisional approval for the TOEFL IBT will be honored for Fall 2017 ONLY. If your are a new student and you have a TOEFL IBT score and do not TA in Fall 2018 but will TA in Winter 2019 or Spring 2019, then a new SPEAK TEST will be required.

All students are eligible to take the SPEAK test in September in order to attempt to achieve a clear pass.

For additional information or test dates please visit the International Student and Scholar office.


All students are required to have medical insurance. If you received funding support through a fellowship, you will automatically be enrolled in a UCR policy and the fee for the insurance is included in your quarterly fee statement. If you have your own medical insurance and want to cancel the campus policy, you must apply for a waiver immediately. Have questions? Please contact the Student Health Services.


Visit Card Services to find out how you can get your UCR Student ID card!


Learn more about Campus Safety Services and tools for all students online. 


You should also consider applying for external (a.k.a. extramural) fellowship awards available from agencies external to UCR. Extramural fellowships are excellent to augment financial support and your quality of life as a student. To learn more, visit our web site at: http://graduate.ucr.edu/funding.html.

Other awards offered during the academic year:

  • Graduate Dean Dissertation Research Grants
  • Chancellor's Dissertation Year Grants
  • Graduate Research and Mentorship Fellowships
  • CNAS Scholarships
  • Graduate Student Association Research Conference Awards

Information on these awards will be sent to you when the call for applications comes from Graduate Division. The Graduate Division office may also offer emergency loans depending on your financial situation.

We look forward to seeing you this fall!

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Department Information

College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences Graduate Student Affairs Center
1140 Batchelor Hall

Tel: (951) 827-4716
Tel: (800) 735-0717
Fax: (951) 827-5517
E-mail: bsgsac@ucr.edu

Related Links