Welcome to UC Riverside!

We are delighted that you have decided to attend UCR. The faculty, students, and staff look forward to your arrival and helping you transition smoothly onto campus. The areas listed below answer most questions and help you prepare for enrollment, orientation and campus life.


Steps To Take After You Return Your Intent to Register...

1. Setup Your UCR Email

After you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), you will receive a confirmation letter with your Student ID and Net ID number. Log into R'Web, the student portal, and set-up your UCR R'Mail to start receiving important campus and graduate program information, registration, housing, fees, etc. All university correspondences will be sent to the UCR R'Mail and students are responsible for checking their account regularly.

2. R'Web

Familiarize yourself with R'Web because it is the online portal where students enroll, review student financial account information, make a payment, update contact information, setup direct deposit for non-payroll financial awards, and more!

3. Housing

If you'd like to be in contact with current students to find a roommate or a room-for-rent, please contact your Student Service Advisor who will gladly forward your message to all our current graduate students. Listed below are two housing resources for your convenience. On-campus housing may offer short-term or interim housing as well.

UCR Housing Office - Information is available on both on and off-campus housing options. Please apply early.
(951) 827-6350
Riverside Neighborhoods information from the City of Riverside
Riverside Apartment Finder

4. Complete the online Statement of Legal Residence (SLR)

All incoming students are required to file a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) to determine whether resident or non-resident fees are charged. The form can be found online

5. Sign Up for Direct Deposit

1ST DIRECT DEPOSIT FORM (Fellowship/Stipend Deposits):
We encourage you to sign up for direct deposit to have your fellowship stipends, financial aid or any other student refunds deposited electronically into your personal bank or credit union account. You can enroll for direct deposit via R'Web. It's free, fast, and reliable. Learn more from Student Business Services.
If your financial award package includes a TA/GSR appointment in the first quarter, you will need to complete a set of personnel forms in your department's payroll office. Your Student Services Advisor will notify you later in the summer about this process.  Otherwise the payroll forms can be completed in the quarter before your first employment appointment.

6. GLACIER Paperwork (International Students only)

All international students must complete their tax withholding documentation via GLACIER as soon as they receive their login information. You must complete this paperwork in order for all fellowship stipends to disburse. You should receive this information via email in mid to late summer. Please contact Elena Valdez in Accounting with any questions you may have. She can be reached at elena.valdez@ucr.edu.


Things to Do Later this Summer ...

1. Register For Classes

The new student enrollment period for Fall 2024 is June 12, 2024 to October 11, 2024.
Need help? Contact your program's Graduate Advisor or Student Services Advisor for guidance on course enrollment and assistance in clearing prerequisites taken outside of UCR.

The Schedule of Classes is available online.
Register for classes online via R'Web. For instructions visit the Registrar's website.
View enrollment and other deadlines on the Academic Calendar.
International students will not be able to enroll until after they have arrived on campus and checked in with the International Students and Scholars Office.

2. Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS)

Visit Campus Transportation & Parking Services for:
Parking Permits
RTA (Rapid Transit Agency) local Riverside bus line
Metrolink (Southern California Commuter Train) - easy access to Los Angeles, Beaches and San Diego
Other Alternative Transportation Programs

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact TAPS

Ontario Airport is located about 20 miles from campus; Los Angeles International Airport is about 68 miles.Various shuttle services provide 24-hour service directly from LAX or Ontario Airports to Riverside. Please check local listings for rates and availability.

Inquire at the airport for the bus service from LAX to Downtown Los Angeles Union Station. The bus service runs every hour non-stop. At Union Station, transfer by taking the Metrolink Train to Downtown Riverside. The Metrolink Riverside Line has a limited schedule, so please check the Metrolink for their schedule to plan your trip to UCR.

Arriving On Campus:

International students should connect with the International Student and Scholars office about arriving on campus.

Fall 2024 instruction begins September 26, 2024. The campus is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday and will be closed on Academic and Administrative Holidays. Our office hours are 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. Please contact your Student Service Advisor to arrange a meeting.

We suggest bringing enough funds to pay for move-in costs for housing and other expenses. We estimate that your initial move-in expenses will be between $1,500 and $2,000. Please keep in mind that if you are on fellowship, your first check will be disbursed in late September for the fall quarter and at the beginning of each quarter thereafter. If you are appointed as a TA or GSR in the fall, then the first paycheck will be paid on November 1st.


There are a series of orientation events that new graduate students are required to attend. They are as follows:
Mandatory Orientation for International Students. Visit the International Student & Scholars office to view dates.
Graduate Division Orientation (mandatory for all new graduate students)
To be announced later this summer
Graduate Student Mentorship Program - To Be Announced
Teaching Assistant Orientation (mandatory for all new students that will TA in their first year. TA's choose 1 day)
Students can register online
Program Welcome Orientation : Your Student Service Advisor will contact you with final details once the date and time for your program's orientation have been determined.

2. English Language Requirements for Teaching Assistants

Please see the Graduate Division procedures for more information: graduate.ucr.edu/regulations-and-procedures


All students are required to have medical insurance. If you received funding support through a fellowship, you will automatically be enrolled in a UCR policy and the fee for the insurance is included in your quarterly fee statement. If you have your own medical insurance and want to cancel the campus policy, you must apply for a waiver immediately. Have questions? Please contact the Student Health Services.

Visit the Immunization Requirements page for more information.  


Visit Card Services to find out how you can get your UCR Student ID card!


Learn more about Campus Safety Services and tools for all students online. 


You should also consider applying for external (a.k.a. extramural) fellowship awards available from agencies external to UCR. Extramural fellowships are excellent to augment financial support and your quality of life as a student. Learn more

Other awards offered during the academic year:

Graduate Dean Dissertation Research Grants
Chancellor's Dissertation Year Grants
Graduate Research and Mentorship Fellowships
CNAS Scholarships
Graduate Student Association Research Conference Awards

Information on these awards will be sent to you when the call for applications comes from Graduate Division. The Graduate Division office may also offer emergency loans depending on your financial situation.

We look forward to seeing you this fall!


Let us help you with your search